How To Tape a Hockey Stick

How to tape hockey stick

by Jeremy Rupke on October 18, 2010

Getting a new hockey stick is a big purchase now-a-days. When I started playing hockey I would buy $10 wooden kohos from Canadian Tire, now I am dropping $100 for a mid-level one piece hockey stick! Some players are spending up to $300 on a stick, that might break after a few games. If you are spending so much on a stick, you want to make sure you get the best out of it, and one of the ways to get the most out of your hockey stick is to have a good tape job!

Hockey sticks are like owning a pet, your stick is your best friend, you take a lot of time picking out a new one and when you get it the tape job is your time to bond. I always look forward to taping up my new stick. I thought it would be cool to share how I tape my hockey stick, and then get some feedback from other hockey players (like you) on how they tape their stick. Remember there really is no “right way” to tape a stick, everyone has their way, and in the videos below I share how I like to tape my hockey stick.

How to Tape the Blade of a Hockey Stick

In this video I show you how I tape the blade of my hockey stick and also mention a bunch of other options that I have seen team mates and also NHL players use. Let me know how you tape the blade of your hockey stick in the comments on this page, or with a youtube video response.

How to Tape Hockey Stick Grip

In this video I show you my favourite way to tape a hockey stick grip. I like a decent grip that I do by twirling the hockey tape so it is like a rope and twisting it around the top of my hockey stick. For the knob I use a technique that I saw a lot of NHL players using, I tried it and loved it. Watch the video to see how I tape the grip of my hockey stick, and share your method in the comments section, or with a youtube video response

pass the puck

Pass the puck share on Twitter or Facebook

Looking for more hockey tips?

Sign up to our newsletter for more tips, more videos, discounts on hockey training aids, and updates on new ways to improve your game
The following two tabs change content below.

NEWATIT April 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm

My son played “hall hockey” with the guys at work today so we bought two sticks tonight. 8 minutes of video, 10 minutes of taping and off we go! Thanks!

JAK April 11, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I use a large knob and the rope thing AND some grip tape over the whole thing. I am right handed and shoot left and do a lot of one handed stick work (active stick on the PK!) so I need a good grip with my top hand. I also tape very low on the grip because I like to “choke-up” on the top of the stick if I have to take a face-off.

My blade is quite different. I use peel and stick sandpaper and no tape. You get a really snappy shot and the sandpaper grips the puck really well for wrist shots and stick handling. Not as soft for receiving a pass but way better for shooting.

URFA March 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

i also found that when you are doing the rope type thing and you are covering the rope, make sure that it goes in the other direction or it will wrinkle, alot.

JOHN March 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

these vidieos are the bomb

URFA February 24, 2011 at 8:56 pm

i always wondered why people like ovechkin tape the blade only halfway instead of doing all of it. i just like to cover the toe when im doing the blade

CHRIS February 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

I like to use a puck when I’m done taping, then some candle wax. The tape soaks up water and I believe the wax helps keep it dry. It also gives a bit of grip.

Cheers

URFA February 24, 2011 at 8:57 pm

but you can also use hockey wax right? or does that not work as well

JEREMY February 28, 2011 at 12:49 am

I think mostly all wax works well.

LIAM January 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm

i do what you did with the tape but i do a tiny little knob

LIAM January 5, 2011 at 6:25 pm

sorry i also meant to say i will email you a picture of what i do with my knob

CLAY January 1, 2011 at 10:38 am

Thanks a lot for the video. I think you should put a video up on how to tape a goalies stick too.

URFA February 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm

i think that the blade is pretty much the same.

OLIVIA November 27, 2010 at 1:31 am

i start by putting a strip on the bottom of the blade from the heel all the way around the toe to cover the top 3 inches of the blade. i then go from a little before the toe to the heel wrapping to just a little before the heel leaving some of the bottom strip showing for protection and to rip it off when it needs to be changed. after im done i cut the edges off around the toe for a pretty and clean look. :)

JONNY November 17, 2010 at 4:05 am

I do the butt of the stick exactly as you showed in the video, except that I make the knob with the full width of the tape.

On the blade I’ve always gone from heel to toe, never tried the other way. However, you said you did it in the video slowly- and I thought you were moving pretty quick. When I tape my blade I am meticulous. I have it just so that there is only an overlap of about an 8th of an inch on every rotation.

Earlier in my career, I did as some of you have said in that I would tape up with heavy overlap, and tape up a large part of the shaft- especially where the blade met the shaft on a two piece. The reason that I stopped doing this is because as I applied more and more tape over the course of several games, the stick would become heavier and heavier. Maybe not a significant weight difference, but noticeable for sure.

ALEX HYDE November 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm

The way I tape my blade is pretty much the same way you do it, I start from the Toe, but I like to put more of an angle on the tape. I also do not put a build up of tape on the end of the stick, it is just because when I play I leave my pinky part of my hand off the stick. Really, like you said it is all personal preference. Thanks for the great videos!

AUSTYN November 12, 2010 at 5:58 pm

What kind of hockey tape fo u use and where do u get it from?

URFA February 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

yeah i also want to know that. the one i use aint that good, it keeps wrinkling and ripping

JEREMY February 28, 2011 at 12:49 am

I usually buy my tape from Canadian Tire or Source for Sports. There is not specific kind that I use, but I look for quality tape. Some of them just look too thin and low quality.

URFA March 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm

thanks i have a cnadian tire close but i didnt really use it for hockey tape :)

DALLAS October 31, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I tape my stick from heel to toe very simple when i get to the toe i leave slack until i get to the end of the toe then i press the extra tape together and then cut it off it looks sharp also

JAMES October 26, 2010 at 3:19 pm

For the blade I do toe to heel. I put a strip along the bottom of the blade (personal preferance) and go down about 2/3 of the blade. I have had many ways of doing my blade but this one feels better when I shoot and stick handle.

ALEX October 22, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Toe to heel for the blade. I start almost at the toe and tape until about halfway down the blade. For the grip I do a few looks around the top of the shaft, then do a few inches of the ‘spin grip’ (not sure the technical/offical name) then tape over that.

DON BARTHEL October 20, 2010 at 4:04 pm

You imply that you tape from heel to toe so that there are no ridges to catch the puck when it spins from heel to toe during a wrist shot. I think that having ridges there would be useful to help the puck spin sooner (i.e. as when taping from toe to heel).

Additionally, taping from toe to heel prevents ridges that will catch when sliding along the ice when you are skating forwards.

JEREMY October 25, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Yes, some players prefer having the ridges there. Try out a few methods and stick to what you like :D

MATT October 20, 2010 at 11:34 am

I always tape up the toe first with a short piece of tape on the edge. Last night I tried experimenting going toe-to-heel. When stickhandling, I didn’t notice any difference from heel-to-toe, but I haven’t tried shooting yet.

For street hockey, I do the length-wise approach (Heel-toe, over the edge and back to the heel on the backhand), and leave the bottom of the blade uncovered. Tape on the bottom of the blade wears off in a matter of minutes for me, but I guess if I was playing on sport court it would be different. Also, I use high-friction/extra-tacky tape for street. I do like it, but it leaves marks on everything.

For the end, I’ve been using the Oggie Ergo grips for a while. I used tape like a normal person for ages, but my top hand would always get tired after about 10 minutes of stickhandling practice (small hands). Plus there’s the whole glove-palm destruction thing.

I tried a Tacki Mac slide on grip too, but it was too thick and actually made my hand fatigue and cramp worse than with just tape. Also, taking it off was a pain. There’s really no good way to take it off without destroying it.

The Ergo grip does take a minute to get used to, especially when practicing toe drags. But other than that, it feels pretty natural. Oggie does make a non-ergo style plug too, but I’ve never tried it.

DAN October 20, 2010 at 11:21 am

I definitely use a lot of tape, more for protecting the stick than anything. It didn’t take me long to start taping the bottom of the shaft of the stick, having seen the damage I had been incurring there, from other players, but probably even more so my own active stick, and I’ll tape it down from about 16 inches or so down to just above the heel, making sure to overlap it so that it has a double layer.

The one difference with my taping of the blade is that I’ll start of with a strip of tape along the bottom of the blade to the toe, and from there start my taping back from toe to heel. More often than not replacement is due to the tape being worn out on the bottom.

JOSEPH October 19, 2010 at 10:23 am

Thanks for the great videos.

JOE October 19, 2010 at 8:27 am

Call me if interested in our pro-stock custom hockey grip program