Hey there hockey players, my name is Jeremy Rupke and I created HowToHockey.com. I will share a quick story about who I am and why I started this site.

Growing up with hockey

I grew up in a small farm town and LOVED playing hockey, the best part of hockey was getting together with friends and just having fun. Of course I also had a passion to improve and be the best I could. In a small town you get taught whatever your coach feels like teaching you, some coaches were great and others were just coaching because their son played on the team. I learned a lot about hockey, but also had to figure a lot of things out on my own.

When I wasn’t at practice I would be up in my barn working on my shot, or in the winter I would head to the pond to figure out some new moves. I noticed that once I started working on my game at home I started to improve very quickly.

When everything clicked

At about 16-17 years old, while in my barn or on the pond I started to realize a lot of small things that I was doing wrong, or new things that I could do to improve my game. These are just small little things that I should have known, or been taught as a kid but no coach really mentioned it. In a small town you don’t really get expert hockey coaches, and even if you have a good coach they only have 1 hour a week to coach 14 kids so you don’t get much 1 on 1 time.

I started implementing these small tips and noticed big improvements in my game, unfortunately it was a bit to late to play Junior and I was focusing on School and a career, but my #1 passion in life was still hockey.

Why I started How To Hockey

I started this site to help kids (and adults) just like me, people who love the game of hockey and want to improve their skills. I wanted a spot to help anyone and everyone improve their hockey skills. Now if a kid from a small town wants to learn to improve their shooting, or stickhandling they can visit Howtohockey.com, I’ve got a handful of videos that are filled with great info. If an adult want’s to take up the game of Hockey at 40 years old they can read all my articles and videos. I want to share my passion for the game with anyone else who also loves hockey.

So you never played pro? Why should we listen to you then?

Nope, I am not a pro, and I have no problem with that. I think if I DID play pro this site would not be nearly as informative as it is now. Most pro’s have the curse of knowledge, they are just naturally awesome and pick things up very easily. If you ask them “how do you take a wristshot” they would probably say “Well… you just go like this”

I’m a good hockey player, and I have a desire to continually improve. I am studying the pro’s, watching how they shot, dangle, and skate. I watch the videos in slow-mo and pick out small things, then I test them and implement them. If I notice improvements I will have a deep understanding of what works, what doesn’t work, and why it works. I then pass that information onto my readers via articles and videos. I break everything down step-by-step and make it as easy to understand as possible. I guess you could say I am obsessed with player development and coaching, and the readers of this site can benefit from all the time I spend watching, analyzing and testing.

Consider me your online hockey coach!

If you want to improve your game, sign up for our newsletter and join us on Facebook and Youtube

Now it is Your Turn

I would love to get your input on what you think of the site, and what you would like to see. So how about leaving a little message in the comment section below. I hope to hear from most of you, and don’t be afraid to share the site with your team mates!

The following two tabs change content below.

Latest posts by Jeremy Rupke (see all)

John L October 27, 2013 at 2:24 am

Hi all-
My story is similar to Jeremies…love the game, played a bit and lived, breathed and ate it. Unfortunately I never got any decent coaching or direction regarding same (Learned more on the pond then I ever did from any of the “coaches” we had…) and bloomed late. Turned into a decent beer leaguer and coach and love every minute of it! Who wants the pressure of playing professionally anyway…I dont want the press analyzing my every move on the ice! Still looking for ways to improve my game and the game as I coach. Looking forward to every ice time, and enjoy the hockey community that has sprung up on the internet…Go Blackhawks!

John L

Mike S September 23, 2013 at 11:04 pm

Hi Jeremy,

I played American Football from Age 7 through college, as my build and family backround are well suited and predisposed to that sport (I am ’6″3, 265lbs). I moved to Denver when I was 11, and played hockey at 11-12 years, but that was it. After that, football began to dominate my life, as I eventually earned a scholarship at a D-1 college. I never had another shot at hockey, but have remained a fan for 30 years since. Three months ago was the first time I had skated in 30 years, since I was 12. In those three months I have worked hard to teach myself to skate again, and I’m getting around the rink pretty well already. I have used the videos with you and Ken to help me with backwards crossovers, basics of stickhandling, and right now I’m trying to improve my wrist shots and learn snapshots and slapshots. I play defense, and just started my first league three weeks ago. Your videos are not only extremely helpful, but incredibly easy to follow. They are a resource I wish I had when I was a kid. I am already skating much better than I did back then! Thank you so much for your commitment and teaching aptitude. Lots of people I know watch your YouTube vids as well. Keep up the good work!

Chris August 30, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Jeremy
I am 47 and havent skated since junior high. My 10 yr old son got me started skating and soon we were playing hockey. We both love it and your videos have helped both of us improve our skating skills. Still pretty green when it comes to playing hockey but we love it. Thanks to your videos we have really improved quickly. Great site and great videos. How come you dont have any videos of you guys playing in a game? Maybe someday eh?

JoAnne August 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Hey Jeremy!
Thank you SO MUCH for this website. I love the video tutorials; you make them really easy to follow! I’m just starting out in the 35 years + group, still really working on skating skills. One of my kiddos loves hockey as I do too. I explained to him your “how to hockey stop” video and he got it down in hardly any time at all!

Anyway, thanks for all you do and for sharing your passion with us. I appreciate you!
~JoAnne =)

Denny Russell August 8, 2013 at 4:20 am

Hey Jeremy,

Great stuff you have here. I run inlinehockeydrills.com and would like to talk to you about sharing some of your content over there. Please email me so we can talk more.

Look forward to talking to you.

Denny

Ben July 22, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Jeremy, first of all, I enjoy all your hockey skill tips and your attention to detail to the game. I was wondering if you have a sample off ice shooting, stick handling, and passing routine that can be done daily.
Thanks, Ben

Jay July 1, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Seriously great site! Your videos are a huge help! Really appreciate them, thx again!

Phil June 12, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Hi
I want my 4 and 6 year old boys to improve their skating. The cost of skating lessons where I live is high, so I want to teach them myself. I can skate pretty well, but I would like to learn how to teach technique to my sons. Is there any book or video series that you could recommend?
Thanks!

Jeremy Rupke June 23, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I am planning a learn to skate video series. I am hoping to have it ready by the next season. I am going to work with another instructor who has been teaching for over 20 years, it should be good!

JP June 4, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Hi Jer,

Great job man. I’m 41… stopped playing at 15 and then started up again. Love it… but can only squeeze in one game a week with kids,work…projects. Anyways, any advice for when to carry the puck? I always tend to look to make a pass as my first instinct as opposed to carrying the puck out of the zone…or go for a breakaway etc.

Sam May 27, 2013 at 11:22 am

Hi I’m 13 and I would just like to thank you for all the tips that I feel have really improved my game.

Fred May 15, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hi Jeremy,

Tks for all yours lesson and videos. They are really good.
I’m 37 and i’m prcticing hockey for almost 30 years, and for me ut’s to mlate to improve my skills, my two big sons starting to learn plying hockey.

Unfortunately, english is not our native language, so please, in yours vids, can u speak a little bit slower :))

Tks for everything !

Ki May 8, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Hi,
I’m looking for tips on off ice ways to improve your skating stride. Even on ice ways and good dryland activity’s to improve speed! Any ideas would be great!
thanks!

john May 5, 2013 at 6:56 am

Hello. Thanks for the web site and video help. Im an older guy 55 taking up skating again not since 14 or so. Love skating, want to play in old mens league someday, anyways still trying to find right radius for my blades Could you please tell me what radius you guys use on your blades.And does your weight play a part in your choice? I started with 7/16s [my local skate shop standard] 7/16s was okay but was hard to stop until blades got duller yet seems to be giving me good control to develop foot work. You guys have amazingly fast feet and wondering if your radius choice helps that? I just had skates redone at 5/8s and have yet to test them out. Also i weigh 210 lbs.Could you please share your opinion or any insight on this issue? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for all your hard work on this forum john

Kelly Jenkins April 29, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Hi Jeremy,
I’m a 37 year old, southern California mom who took up ice hockey this past Christmas, after a couple of years of roller. I am obsessed. I am constantly looking for ways to improve, and feel that there is something to be learned from everyone. I came across your site as a result of a newsletter from Icetown Riverside. I signed up straight away and have been watching videos all day. Thank you so much for breaking the movements down to the basics. I definitely want to learn how to play properly instead of reinforcing bad habits.
Thanks again,
kelly.

Zach April 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Hey, im Zach! Im 18 an play Junior A in the NSHL, in the past 7 months or so ive put on around 50pds as of now i weigh around 180, an last summer i weighed around 135. I did a ton of upper body training but all i feel now when im on the ice is my endurance getting worse an worse and speed steadly getting worse. I need need need to get my endurance an speed back. I would love some off ice training thats going to improve it, thanks!

Steve April 10, 2013 at 5:49 am

I stumbled upon this site while looking for a video on how to do a toe drag. I loved the site, and signed up for the newsletter right away. I’m 40, and have been skating since I was 18. I recently lost 34 lbs and am felling it on the ice! I have much better speed and endurance. Hopefully with the help from your site, I’ll get even better!

Anatoly April 2, 2013 at 8:04 am

Hi Jeremy,
My name’s Anatoly. I live in a small communty in the North of Russia, so you can guess we love playing hockey. I played a lot while I was a kid but now I am 45 and I still love this game. It’s very exciting and every time I find something new and useful. More than that I feel myself more confident after each game. I am sure I can improve my skills with your help. Thank you buddy!!!

John March 29, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Oli, although not on your team, I am that teammate who is new to the ice. I took up ice hockey at the age of 58 (61 now), broke my leg in my first league and got back on the ice as quickly as possible. With zero prior experience, my goal is to become a solid “C” player.
This brings me to your question…and my answer based on being in those teammates skates.
What I need, and rarely recieve from my teammates, is valuable, candid, non judgemental communication both on the ice and on the bench. In short I need my teammates to share the hockey sense they have gained over all the years of playing, what the coaches showed them, what they learned about playing the game. I don’t need anyone to play my position, just help to play it better and with consistancy. I don’t want to be rewarded for being in the correct postion, but taught each time I am on the ice. I do not intentionally make mistakes on the ice and will ask for feedback on the ice and on the bench, There are very few adult clinics in my area therefore I must rely on How To Hockey, a few unselfish teammates. Please be that teammate for all who play the game beside you…the hard part will be determining who is willing to give and who is willing to accept the knowledge.

JoAnne August 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm

As someone just in the very beginning phases of taking up hockey as a 37 year old, I really appreciate your post! I am crossing my fingers that when I join the local league next year, I will have some of those patient, encouraging, helpful veteran teammates who are willing to teach! Best of luck! =)

Al March 27, 2013 at 9:20 am

Worth a peek….

It’s a free slo-motion video app for iStuff.
May or may not be something of interest or of use — for all the good you do for us?

“Ubersense” is the name of the app

Oli March 16, 2013 at 4:26 am

I’d like to know how to deal with teammates who are somewhat new to the game. It’s pretty hard to breakout and find opportunities because I end up doing their roles. Pls help. Thanks.

Jeremy Rupke March 16, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Oli there is really nothing you can do except remind them of the position they need to play while you are on the bench with them. I’ve been in those situations. I usually will pass them the puck when they are in the right spot. Then on the bench I’ll say something like, that was perfect, good breakout! or Way to go to the net. When they start getting the puck and you let them know they were in the right spot they will remember.