Hockey Shooting Pad Information

Hockey shooting pads are one of the most popular hockey training aids on the market today. Skating, shooting, and stick handling are the most important skills for a hockey player to learn, and you can practice and perfect two of those three skills with a hockey shooting pad. This page gives you some information about hockey shooting boards, we also have a hockey shooting pad review

Hockey shooting pad info

Material

Many people want to know what material is used in hockey shooting pads. Mostshooting pad for hockey pads are made out of High-density polyethylene or HDPE, which is a special type of slippery plastic.  HDPE is also used to make milk jugs, hockey dasher boards, and rails / boxes used for snowboarding and skiing. While some hockey shooting pad alternatives offer a smooth surface, only a real hockey shooting pad can offer a smooth and slippery surface.

Hockey shooting pad sizes

The hockey shooting pads come in a variety of sizes the most common sizes are

• Junior – 24 inches wide by 48 long and  1/8 of an inch thick
  • Intermediate 28 inches wide by 52 inches long and 3/16 of an inch thick
  • Professional shooting pads which are 30 inches wide by 60 inches long and 3/16 of an inch thick.

Shooting pad sizes for hockey

What shooting pad size should you choose?

The smaller sizes are very affordable and good for younger players or as something to start with. My first shooting pad was a junior size and I used it purely for shooting. If you will be doing mostly shooting than a small size will be good for you If you are older and will be using your shooting pad a lot I strongly recommend a larger shooting pad.

The larger shooting pads are great because you have enough room to practice a variety of stickhandling moves. Large hockey shooting boards also provide enough room for a full wrist shot and room to line up a few pucks for slapshots. Another great benefit of the pads are that they last a very long time

Durability

These boards are great when it comes to durability, we tested the pro shooting pad which is 3/16 of an inch thick, sounds thin but we hammered about 1000 shots off of this board and there were no signs of wear (just a lot of tape marks) During the slapshot challenge I have been taking about 1000 – 2000 shots every week and there is absolutely no wear on the plastic (once again, just tape marks)

Research shows that HDPE piping is expected to last up to 100 years, this is the same material that the hockey shooting pads are made from. Shooting pads are thinner, but my first pad lasted 3 years with no signs of wear (it went missing after that)

Price of Hockey Shooting Pads

Shooting pads usually range from $35 – $110 depending on what size you get, quality, and thickness. My shooting pad of preference is the pro hockey shooting pad because it provides a lot of room for stickhandling and passing, and I can even hook up a passmaster to the end and practice one timers.

Where to buy a Hockey Shooting Pad

There are only a few stores that offer shooting boards. I bought my first one from National Sports (a Canadian sports store) You can also purchase hockey shooting pads online. We found that Hockey Shot has a good selection of sizes and different options. We recommend the professional hockey shooting pad, and it is the one we use the most.

You can Buy a shooting pad here we also have a coupon so you can save $10 on any order over $100, enter HOWHCKY001 in the coupon code section.

The following two tabs change content below.

Jack April 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

also, will furniture polish reack it?

Jack April 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi its Jack again,
I just got the Junior size shooting pad and when I started using it today but the puck was flipping alot. i was wondering if it starts with some wierd oil finish when you start using it. will the finish come off? Thanks

Jack March 28, 2011 at 5:47 am

Hi i was wondering if the Junior size is thick enough to take slapshots

Jeremy March 31, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Oh yeah! The pro, intermediate and Junior shooting pads are all pretty thick. They are thicker than the roll-up shooting pad and I use that one for slapshots all the time so the Junior pad will be fine

Alexander March 11, 2011 at 10:44 pm

So what product could I use to make the puck glide more.

Jeremy March 31, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I have heard that furniture polish works good

Alexander March 8, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hi, I recently bought a roll up shooting pad but I have a problem. I don’t know what side to shoot on. It’s usually on the side that has a sticker but the surface is a bit tough. The other side that dosen’t have a sticker but the surface makes the puck glid more.

Thank you.

Jeremy March 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

It is the same material through the entire pad, so you can shoot from any side you like.

Anna March 3, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Hi Jeremy.

My question is about the roll up shooting pad. I like the fact that it’s big for stickhandling but I still have questions about the durability.

I tried to make my own shooting pad but after a couple of hard slapshots, it breaks. I shoot pretty hard and I can’t find any durable material.

So here’s my questions:

1. If you drop a puck (real one) does it crack ?
2. Can I use it outdoor on winter time ?

Thank. Sorry for my english, I’m french speaking :-)

PS: By the way I love your website that I visit everyday. Your tips really helped me to improve my shooting and my stickhandling. Keep up the good work guys :-)

Jeremy March 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

Hey, the roll-up pad is really durable. I have taken a lot of slapshots and it is still holding up fine. I have used it just a bit in the winter and it has not cracked, but if it got REALLY cold then there is always a chance of it happening.

Garrett March 1, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Jeremy,

Can you tell me the thickness of the roll-up shooting pad? Or, at least estimate for me?

Thanks.

Jeremy March 31, 2011 at 11:45 pm

The roll-up pad is only a few MM thick, maybe 5MM. It is really durable though I have been using the same one for almost a year now and it’s still doing fine!

Bryton February 19, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Umm does this thing actually work like i have a back yard rink and i work out all summer when and what can i use this for. i do alot of shooting, handling and drills how does this help???

ryan February 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Hi Jeremy!
I was looking for a shooting pad in surrey.Can the hockey pads be maid from plywood?Do you no where you can get the HDPE sheet at home depot?If not do you no any other place where you can?

Alex January 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Jeremy,

Do the screws come with the one timer???

Charles January 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Hey Jeremy,

What’s up?

I just started shopping for some HDPE here in Canada (especially Quebec province). I contacted a plastic shop near me and they only have the 1/8 1/8 of an inch thickness. I asked for a professional size piece of HDPE (30 x 60). The cost : 30$

Is 1/8 enough? I guess it is but just wanted to have your input about that.

By the way, nice website.

All the best

Charles

liam January 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

can you make a shooting pad out of a piece of plywood

Jeremy January 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

You can make your own shooting pad, just find the smoothest material from the hardware store. From what I have seen the shooting pads made from HDPE are the best because they are the most durable, and have the least friction (unfortunately also the most expensive)

liam January 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm

i said that because on some websites it says a piece of plywood with pledge on it will work fine

Daniel November 18, 2010 at 3:21 am

Guys, are these shooting pads available for purchase anywhere in Europe?

Is there some store that re-sells them for example in the UK or Austria etc..

Thanks,
D.

Dan November 8, 2010 at 7:36 pm

Hey again sry i miss worded that I meant will HDPE alone slide as good as hockeyshooting pads

Jeremy November 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Hi Dan, thanks for your comment
HDPE will work fine, as far as I know that is what the pro sized pads are made out of. If you can find it cheap then it should work.
The roll-up and pro sized pads slide just the same, but I like the roll-up better because it gives you more size.

Dan November 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Will HDPE alone work alone? Also, would the pro size slide better or worse than the roll up I am confused?

elliott November 3, 2010 at 4:01 pm

hey jeremy, i was thinking bout buying the roll up shooting pad. but i was wondering if it would last me a while becuse its thin.

Jeremy November 7, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I have been using mine for a long time and have not had any problems. The roll-up shooting pad is my favourite off ice shooting surface, definitely recommended. Don’t forget to use our coupon as well!

carlos October 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm

what is the diffrence of pro and junior? and how much dose it cost?

Jeremy October 16, 2010 at 11:16 pm

Hi Carlos, all of that information is in the review / article. For the difference in sizes see the picture, and exact specifications above, and for prices they range from $35 – $110, you can visit the link for more info on pricing.

Erik October 5, 2010 at 1:15 am

Was looking on hockeyshot.com and they have two extreme passing kits one with the bungee cord model and the other is with the “one timer” model with a $10 difference. Which one would you get?
Thanks

Jeremy August 23, 2010 at 7:57 am

Hi Daniyar
We don’t ship the product, we just did the review. Click on the link and you can email Hockey Shot

Daniyar August 23, 2010 at 6:14 am

Hello!
You do delivery to Kazakhstan?
I wanted buy a shooting pad intermediate size.
If you do delivery ,can you say me how much it cost?

Thanks!