Deke Of the Week
We started the Deke of the Week in the winter of 2010 and hope to keep it going for some time. While the name suggests we post a deke every week unfortunately we have to also balance full time jobs and sometimes life gets in the way. We could have called it something different, but deke of the week just sounds so cool! Below you will find all the deke’s we have posted, with more always in the works. Over the summer the deke of the week will be on hold as we focus on off ice training. We try to make the deke’s progressively more advanced and cover the basics in the first few.
- Skate to open ice
- This is something that every hockey player should know and understand. Before teaching you to deke I want to teach you how to just straight beat the players! This will help you control the puck and get a lot more scoring chances
- Protecting the puck
- Don’t just let the players knock the puck off your stick. In this video and article I give you a bunch of tips on how to protect the puck and keep what belongs to you
- Fakes are an integral part of deking. You can use them on their own to get around players, or incorporate them into your dekes. In this video and article I teach you about all the different types of fakes and how you can use them
- Single deke
- This is the most basic of dekes but I still use it on a regular basis. In this video and article Ken and I show you the single deke and when to use it
- Double deke
- Taking one step up from the single deke is the double deke. It sounds pretty straight forward but we give you a few tips on how to pull it off sucessfuly
- Bank shot
- This is one of the easiest ways to break out of your end and get a break away. You can also use it to clear the puck in a hairy situation. I also show you a cheeky move I like to do in shinny
- Under the stick deke
- This is my favourite deke to pull if the defensemen is matching my speed and I need to shake him. There are a few hard and fast rules that you should know before attempting this move.
- Toe Drag
- This is a fun move if you can pull it off. I find the faster you are going the harder it is to do the toe drag perfectly
- Backhand Toe Drag
- In this deke of the week we have two videos, how to do the move and then another on-ice example showing you some game situation examples
We are always working on adding new training articles to the blog so feel free to subscribe to our blog to be notified of new articles and videos.