In the third edition of the deke of the week I am going to be talking about fakes. In my opinion a fake is not the same as a deke, but you can use fakes in your dekes. A “fake” is just a slight, or subtle movement that might freeze the opposing player for a slight second, sometimes a simple fake is all you need to get around a play. A deke requires a set of actions, with a deke you are baiting the other player, forcing them to move or opening them up, and then pulling a move on them. So with a deke you have the preperation (set the bait), pull the move, seperate yourself from the player, then accelerate. With a fake it is just a quick movement you do, and you can use them in your dekes. Here are some fakes you can do
- Eye fakes (I’m not joking they work!)
- Head fakes (usually used with shoulder fakes)
- Leg fakes
- Stick fakes and hand fakes
In the video below I go through each fake and tell you how you can use them in a game, in combinations, and when is the best time to use each fake. I thought it was important to cover all the fakes because I will be mentioning them in future deke of the weke videos.
Deke of the Week 3 Video
Thanks for watching! Next week we will be back on the rink. Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog and videos on youtube to stay up to date with the latest hockey training.
Latest posts by Jeremy Rupke (see all)
- Patrick Kane is in my Room (and could be in your’s too!) - December 16, 2013
- Your Guide to buying Hockey Equipment Online - December 10, 2013
- Understanding Your Edges – Improve Balance and Control - December 9, 2013