In the latest deke of the week (or month :P) we bring you the toe drag. The toe drag is a very effective move IF you can master it. This is one of those moves that you don’t want to try in a game unless you have done it flawlessly 10 times in a row during practice. The first video shows you the deke of the week version with in-game scenarios, and the second video is our “how to toe drag” video that we shot last year. (If you are from the United States of Amurica remember, it’s called the toe drag, not a curl and drag)
On Ice Toe Drag Video
How To Toe Drag
Tips for performing the toe drag
- You have to practice this move a lot before you can master it, I recommend using a nice smooth surface like the roll-up shooting pad and a puck instead of a ball, for the most ice-like feel try a shooting pad and the green biscuit
- If practicing at home or on the ice start with a wall behind you, that way if you miss the puck you don’t have to go and get it each time
- When gripping the stick with your top hand loosen your grip while rolling the blade over and let it fall into your fingertips. Hold it in your finger-tips while you start to pull the puck back, then while pulling the puck back and catching the puck tighten your grip and hold the stick in your top hand how you normally would
- Practice pushing the puck out and toe-dragging back in on your side and in front of you.
- During the game try toe-dragging the puck in towards your feet, that way if you don’t catch it, or a defender knocks the puck off of your stick you still have the option of kicking it up to your stick with your feet
- The trickiest part to learn is actually catching the puck after you drag it back with your toe, you need to quickly roll the blade over and catch the puck, if you practice a lot you will get it!
Latest posts by Jeremy Rupke (see all)
- Call your friends – Pond Hockey Tourney Jan 23rd - December 2, 2014
- Super Shooter Review – A Net for Serious Training - November 23, 2014
- Top 10 gift ideas for hockey players – 2014 edition - November 5, 2014