Hey guys, I know I was promising this forever and here it finally is. I originally was going to call this 20 ways to beat the D, but I decided to call it the Deke of the Week and post a new on every week. We are going to start at the most basic moves, and then work our way up to some more advanced and tricky moves.
Why are we starting at the basics?
It is important for hockey players to understand the EASIEST ways to beat somebody, why try a complicated move when you can easily get past them and have a much better chance of getting a shot on net? Don’t worry, we will get to the nifty dekes later in the series, so be sure to subscribe to our blog to get notified of the newest moves.
Deke of the Week Part 1 Find Open Ice
In this video
Here is a quick summary of the video plus some extra tips
- When players get the puck sometimes they get excited and lose it, instantly pass it, or blindly give it away. Take a quick peak before you get the puck so you know if you have room to move, or someone to pass to.
- If you have the puck and have room to move GET YOUR SPEED UP. It WAY easier to skate past two players rather than deke through them (while other players catch up to you)
- The point of this video is to teach players to look for the open ice, if you can beat a guy with speed than do it.
What not to do
- If you have one man to beat, don’t skate right to him so you can try to deke him. Although it looks cool there is good chance you could lose the puck. If there is room to skate around him, then just skate to the open ice and blow past him.
That is your first deke of the week, be sure to subscribe to be notified of the next Deke of the WeekTweet Follow @howtohockey
Latest posts by Jeremy Rupke (see all)
- Call your friends – Pond Hockey Tourney Jan 23rd - December 2, 2014
- Super Shooter Review – A Net for Serious Training - November 23, 2014
- Top 10 gift ideas for hockey players – 2014 edition - November 5, 2014